Normally when a Pen drive is write protected it will show an error something like this when you try to write your pen drive.
1. Editing the Registries to Remove write protection from USB drive
Follow the steps one after another to more write protection from the Pen drive.
1. Press CTRL + R to open the RUN box,
2. Type REGEDIT and hit enter
3. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > StorageDevicePolicies
and hit enter.
4. Give a double click on the WRITE PROTECT and a box will open in that enter the Value as 0 and press OK button
5. Now restart your PC and again connect your USB pen drive to your computer and verify.
That’s it hopefully it will work.
Note: – In case you can’t find the “StorageDevicesPolicies” in the Registry settings follow the steps below
1. Open your Notepad and copy the below code to it
reg add “HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetControlStorageDevicePolicies” /t Reg_dword /v WriteProtect /f /d 1
2. Now save this as add.bat (it should be with .bat extension or else it won’t work) and run it.
3. Now continue the above process and it will work fine.
2. Formatting the Pen drive before OS boots to Remove Write protection
Follow the below steps carefully to remove write protection from the USB storage drives
1. Shut down your PC/LAPTOP
2. Connect your USB drive to your PC/LAPTOP and turn it ON. While the system is booting pres F8 continuously and advanced booting option screen will open.
3. In that select Safe mode with command prompt.
4. After the files loads, in the command prompt navigate to the drive of your pen drive.
At first it will look something like this C:windowssystem32>
now let your drive letter is “H”. Then you have to type C:windowssystem32>H:
and hit enter
5. Now type
it will again ask you for confirmation of Yes or No (Y/N). Type Y and hit Enter.
By doing this your pen drive will get completely formatted, which will remove the write protection from it.
3. Using Command prompt to remove Write protection from Sandisk pen-drive
Follow the below mentioned steps to remove write protection from the PEN DRIVES
1. Press CTRL + R and open the RUN box.
2. Type CMD to open the command prompt window
3. In the command prompt type DISKPART and hit enter
4. A new command window will open, in that again type LIST DISK and hit Enter
5. Now again type “Attributes disk clear read-only” and hit enter
You can even try this method to format your Pen drive completely and remove write protection from it.
4. Formatting the Pen Drive to Remove write protection from the pen drive
Here is the step by step procedure to remove the write protection from the pen drive
1. Open your desktop and give a Right click on the MY COMPUTER icon and select MANAGE from the list.
2. From the left panel select the DISK MANAGEMENT under STORAGE
3. Now give a Right click on our Pen drive and select format from it.
4. Conform it by clicking again on the YES and finally click OK to format
ALSO CHECK :- 5 Best Browsers for Windows 8
all the above methods are tested on Pen drives from all the branded companies and they are working perfectly. If all the above mentioned methods don’t work for you before leaving a comment check each and every step carefully. If you face any problem still with your problem just post your Pen drive company/model along with error you are getting so that we can assist you.